Re: Disable SCSI-Reservation at the driver level ?

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 10:45:42AM +0100, devzero@xxxxxx wrote:
> > And more.  It's in fact one of the most blatant violations of the
> > Linux 2.4 kernel copyrights.  Don't expect support if you use such
> > an illegal product.
>
> really?
> this is the first time i hear that ESX is an "illegal" product from the point of view of the kernel community.
> afaik, the esx kernel (vmnix) is a completely different product and for example, the source of the linux drivers they have modified to run under ESX are made available for download, as GPL tells them to do.
>
> what`s the problem here?

It's a modified linux kernel with hooks for a big binary module that takes
over part of the control.  It's rather hard to argue that it's not a derived
work.  Especially as they reuse various I/O subsystem of the kernel
that has been parasited.

> can you provide a link to some thread where this has been discussed?

I don't think so.

> something to be resolved with the help of gpl-violations.org ?

I haven't found any evidence that they are using enough code that
gpl-violations.org has the right to defend.
-