Re: Spinup of SCSI Disks: allow_restart won't work on 2.6.18

Stefan Richter wrote:
FWIW, sbp2 in Linux 2.6.19-rcX sets the allow_restart flag for all HDDs
and other direct access devices. In Linux 2.6.18 it does so only for
Maxtor disks. Beyond setting that flag or leaving as it is, the sbp2
driver has nothing to do with the restart facility; it's a thing between
the SCSI error handler and the target. Of course the firmware of the
FireWire bridge has to support it in the first place. I have no data
which OXFW911 firmwares do or don't.

Also I don't remember which Linux release has the patch that exposes the
allow_restart flag as a writable sysfs attribute but I suppose if you
can see this attribute, then you have the patch. I can set and unset it
with echo on 2.6.19-rc4 just fine, as root of course.

I tried 2.6.19-rc6 and it works just like you said. Thank's a lot for the hint. One problem left. I still can't set or unset the flag with echo even on 2.6.19-rc6 (as root). Always getting a write error. Not that I care much about this, 'cause I for sure don't want it disabled.
But it's strange nonethless.

Thank's again

Joern
-