Re: Persistent Reservation

Jansen, Frank wrote:
> Dhiraj,
>
> In the most common case, persistent reservations are stored with the
> device, such as the storage array.  Note that not all devices
> implement/support persistent reservations and there are cases where the
> reservations are stored elsewhere, which tends to be the approach in
> virtualizing environments.

The linux SCSI subsystem doesn't interact with lu
persistent reservations. Last time I looked, the
kernel was pretty noisy when a RESERVATION CONFLICT
status was received, even via a sg device node.

You can manipulate persistent reservations from the
user space with sg_persist in sg3_utils package.

Device support for persistent reservations is improving,
Fujitsu SCSI disks have had it for some time. I
noticed that the Seagate 15K.5 series support those
commands while the 15K.4 series and earlier didn't.

Doug Gilbert