Re: Sony VGP-XL1B (200 disk CD/DVD jukebox)

Josha Foust wrote:
<snip>

> My main remaining concern is with the safe operation of the unload
> command.  As I mentioned in a previous email, the media changer is
> perfectly happy to unload a disk from the drive while it is still
> spinning, obviously causing damage to the disk and possibly the changer.
> With the stop command that Dan Dennedy added in his patch to mtx, I can
> get the drive stopped if I retry until the command succeeds.  I am
> worried about race conditions, however.  Is there a way to lock a SCSI
> device for exclusive access so that I can guarantee a safe unload?  I.E.
> that the disk stays stopped while the media changer unloads it.

The PREVENT ALLOW MEDIUM REMOVAL command is defined for
SMC devices (see SPC-3 as SPC-4 has devolved that command
and it is yet to appear explicitly in SMC-3). That isn't
exactly what you asked for but it will impede a START
STOP UNIT (start_bit=0, loej_bit=1) command.

<snip>

Doug Gilbert
-