Re: RFC: SCSI Generic version 4 interface

Douglas Gilbert wrote:
I was asked to put together a proposal in May this
year for a new SCSI Generic interface structure. This
is the same structure that is used by the block layer
SG_IO ioctl. A few people have asked whether I had forgotten
that I agreed to write the proposal. So here it is. Those
who have seen it have made comments, some of which have
been incorporated.

Some shortcomings of the sg version 3 interface are:
  - can't handle commands with bidirectional data (either
    can the SCSI subsystem at the moment)
  - if it was a bit more general it could carry other
    request/response protocols (e.g. Task Management
    Functions and SMP in Serial Attached SCSI)
  - no way of associating a task attribute or task tag
    with a SCSI command

Why avoid Jens Axboe's bsg?

It seems like that is already a good interface for carrying other req/resp protocols.

	Jeff

-