Re: [linux-usb-devel] Fw: garbled usb storage scsi vendor & model in 2.6.19-rc1

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 02:43:22PM -0700, Phil Dibowitz wrote:
> Alan Stern wrote:
> > There's a comment about this in the source code, asking what should be
> > done if the INQUIRY response is too short (as it is here).  Maybe the best
> > approach would be always to assume the first 36 bytes are valid, even when
> > the device says they aren't.  It ought to solve your problem, and it's
> > no worse than what we're doing now.
> >
> > The patch is below.  This replaces the patch I sent earlier.
>
> Perhaps a better approach might be to set the product and vendor to some
> specific string if the device says it isn't providing one? In the new model,
> can't we still have the chance of showing garbage if the device really isn't
> setting anything useful? So what if we show "Unknown" and "Unknown" or
> something similar in the event that the device sets the 'invalid' bit?

US_FL_FIX_INQUIRY used to do this; I don't remember what it does currently.

Regardless, the SCSI core should probably blank those data buffers before
deciding if any data is going to be copied into them.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

C:  Like the Furby?
DP: He gives me the creeps.  Think the SPCA will take him?
					-- Cobb and Dust Puppy
User Friendly, 1/2/1999