RE: Request for opinion: ufsutils

Hello Pedro,

> Hello everyone,
>
> We are planning to build an open source tool for UFS, (let's name it
> "ufsutils"). The idea is to interact with the ufs driver for debug and test
> purposes. For us it would be useful for scenarios like bring up of new
> hardware,
> debug while adding new features, force specific conditions for testing, check
> specific registers from any of the layers (UFS/UniPro/MPhy) at any time...
>
> We would like to check with you what would be the advisable method to
> interact
> with the driver from user-space (sysfs, debugFS, ioctls, etc.). I am aware of
> the ioctl through sg but we may have use cases without a device.
>
> Do you think this would be useful for you? Any suggestions?
Great minds think alike :)
Actually, we already did all that: we introduced a new bsg companion to the ufs driver,
To support the very exactly ufs-utils.  It was merged in 4.20.
You can look it up using "scsi: Add ufs bsg endpoint".
We also have a supplementary short series, see https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-scsi/msg127370.html.
We are about to publish ufs-utils in the coming days.

Thanks,
Avri