Re: CFP: Linux 2007 File System & IO Workshop

On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 16:25 -0700, Luben Tuikov wrote:
> The only mentioning of "Vancouver Storage summit" in the web content
> therein was, quoting from http://www.usenix.org/events/lsf07/cfp/ :
>  * Progress reports on implementation of features discussed at the
>    Vancouver Storage Summit
> So by "follow on" you mean "progress report" only?  Or will this
> event also accept and/or discuss new material?

That was only one of the topics ... there are several other suggestions
in the list you pulled that quote from.

> > Although USENIX is helping us to run it, you don't have to be
> > a USENIX member to submit a position paper.  The idea of the position
> > papers is to give the limited number of places (for storage we've got
> > about 20-25 and about the same again for fs) to people who have
> > interesting topics they need to discuss---so if you submit, be prepared
> > to make a presentation of it.
>
> Can I make a presentation of this paper:

You can submit it as your position paper, certainly.

However, the object of this event is not to collect a list of papers to
be presented: it's not a conference with hundreds of attendees (if you
want to present to an audience, you should submit to FAST, which is such
a conference, with which we're co-located).  It's a roundtable type
discussion with 20-25 people in the field; plus some plenary sessions to
get input and ideas from people working on the filesystem layer.  The
object is to stimulate discussion of important issues (which may be
guided by papers or other materials).  The position paper thing is only
to ensure people actually have things they want to discuss (and to allow
the programme committee to pick the attendees if there would be too
many).

James

-