Re: blk-mq private tags for SCSI

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 08:52:20AM +0100, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> blk-mq has the concept of 'private' tags to handle driver-internal commands.
> Also quite some SCSI HBAs use internal commands for configuration, event
> handling etc.
> But sadly no interface to use the 'private' tags from the block layer
> exists, so quite some drivers like megaraid_sas, aacraid, or hpsa have to
> implement their own management of internal commands.

Well, it would be rather trivial to expose, just waiting for a user.
Please just go ahead and add the interface together with your first
user.

The biggest blocker so far has been that the legacy request code has no
concept of reserved requests and adding them for blk-mq only would lead
to diverging code paths.  With the legacy code gone now we are free to
move ahead.