Re: Aw: [ANNOUNCE v2]: Broadcom (Emulex) FC Target driver - efct

On 12/19/2018 10:04 AM, Sebastian Herbszt wrote:
Hello James,

I'd like to announce the availability of the Broadcom (Emulex) FC target
driver - efct.

This is the 2nd round of announcement.   In the first round, after
discussion with community members, it was decided that the driver would
consist of the following:
   - A SLI4-library that can be used by both an initiator driver and a
target driver
   - A FC Discovery library that could be used by both an initiator
driver and a target driver.
   - A SLI3-library that would be used by an initiator driver only
   - Delivery of a target driver that would support SCSI and NVME
   - Delivery of an initiator driver that would support SCSI and NVME
(NVME on SLI-4 only).

As of this announcement the repository on gitlab
(git@xxxxxxxxxx:jsmart/efct-Emulex_FC_Target.git)
contains:
  - the SLI-4 library
  - the FC Discovery library
  - the efct target driver that supports SCSI (lio)

a lot has changed since v1:

Can you maybe provide the full git history which should have tracked all
the file renaming?

unfortunately, no. It was done using internal tools which are not git based. All further development will be on the gitlab git tree.

We're putting together a change log from v1 to v2 that should help in the things you're asking.

Beside the split it seems there are other changes. More leftovers of the
FCoE support are gone, ddump support is no longer present and the initiator
support is not settable. Any further changes I missed?

Yes - it's concentrating on FC support.
ddump - it was temporary removed due to some app interfaces. I believe it will be added back. Yes - initiator support was removed as there will be a separate initiator driver.

I noticed this version does only build here on kernel 4.18. I pushed the
required changes for kernel 4.19 to my repository [1].

Thanks, I've asked to have our guys pull them in from your repository.

Effort is underway on adding nvme target support to the efct driver, and
after that, the initiator driver will be refactored.  The intent will be
to move all elements into the upstream tree although it is expected the
libraries and target components will be merged in a stage separate from
the initiator components.

What are the plans for the "lpfc" driver? Will it use "libefc" and "libefc_sli"
or will a new (SLI4+) driver ("efci" ?) emerge?

We want to finish the nvme support in efct first. the initiator driver will be a large amount of work. I may start some of the initiator bring up in parallel, but regardless, the initiator will be a longer task.

We can choose whether to leave it the same name or give it a new one. I expect we'll lean to keeping the same name.

It will use the libefc_sli library for the adapter interfaces and will also use libefc for the discovery items. However, the behaviors between initiator vs target are significantly different so I don't expect libefc to work well in the beginning, but we'll get it to a working state as we go through the integration.

While those efforts are underway, we would like receive review comments
on the code that is present. Comments can be sent to:
ecd-efct.pdl@xxxxxxxxxxxx or myself

-- james

[1] https://repo.or.cz/efct-Emulex_FC_Target/sherbszt.git/shortlog/refs/heads/v2-update

Sebastian

thanks Sebastian

-- james

PS: Here's a quick change list

1) Driver split,
   efct --> LIO target driver.
   libefc --> Emulex FC discovery Library.
   libfc_sli --> Emulex FC SLI Library.

2) Support for  4.18 kernel

3) Removed Wrapper functions efct_thread, efct_sem, efct_timer,
efct_malloc .. etc..

4) G7/Prism adapter support.

5) Removed FCoE support, as we support only FC.

6) Removed dma pool allocations, used dma coherent to alloc dma buffers.

7) Removed SLI queue lock wrappers, register read and wrappers..etc..

8) Fixed styling issues as per linux kernel coding style.

9) Removed ddump files. Will add the new dump functionality as a
feature in the next release.