Re: SCSI qla2xxx: tcm_qla2xxx server code seems to have regressed quite badly with latest testing

On Fri, 2018-10-12 at 17:51 -0700, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> On 10/12/18 1:36 PM, Laurence Oberman wrote:
>  > While I have for the longest time used 4.5 as a base for my F/C
> jammer
>  > that I use every day here in our lab I recently added more jammer
> code
>  > so I decided to test this all on latest upstream.
>  >
>  > Booting the target server on my 4.5 kernel with jammer code is
>  > flawless and serves LUNS with no issues and handles the jamming
> also
>  > fine.
>  >
>  > However just building a 4.19.0_rc7+-1 (I left the jammer stuff
> out)
>  > its pretty broken.
>
> A large number of patches went upstream between these two kernel
> versions for both the QLogic initiator and target drivers. From the
> logs
> it seems like you were using QLogic hardware at both the initiator
> and
> target side? If so, which kernel version was running at the
> initiator
> side during these tests? 4.5, 4.19-rc7+ or yet another version?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bart.

I had only replied to Bart, this was my reply, reply all now

Hi Bart
Thank you for always being helpful.

I am using at the moment RHEL 7.5 for the initiator (based on kernel
3.10 but of course lots of backports)
The exact same initiator is working fine with the 4.5 and I would not
expect the target to  require the same kernel level.
Of course I will try latest upstream on the initiator later and reply
back.

I was thinking the target should adhere to the standards and support
many types of kernels within reason for the initiator.

Thanks