Re: About sg_tablesize in 2.6 kernel

Aboo Valappil wrote:
> Thanks Arjan for clearing it about SG. I think i am fine with the
> page_address() for now.
>
> I managed to finish my virtual scsi device driver. Everything seems to
> be working fine (Reading, writing , etc). But i can not mount a file
> system created on it. From my verification, the driver seems to be doing
> its job. I verified the read and write to the disk by partitioning the
> device, using dd, etc. Seems to work fine. But i can not mount the file
> system created on it.

READ(6+10), WRITE(6+10) and READ_CAPACITY(10) is all you
should need initially. It may be useful to compare what
your driver does with the scsi_debug driver which is also
a virtual SCSI (disk) target (IOW a ram disk). See:
http://www.torque.net/sg/sdebug26.html

The fdisk, mkfs, mount sequence works with the scsi_debug
driver. Try making the virtual disk image sizes for scsi_debug
and your driver the same, then read (with dd) and compare
both images after the mkfs. You could also check the first
63 sectors after the fdisk stage.

> (I am sorry if i am taking too much of your time and posting wrong
> questions in the mailing list. Please guide me on this, this is the only
> mailing list which responded to my question. I am not a professional
> kernel developer and this is not my full time job but rather just a hobby).
>
> I attached the outputs below, can some one advice what could be wrong here?
> I partitioned the drive as follows. Please not that it shows one head, 8
> sectors. I am not sure where it is getting this info. (I do not see any
> SCSI commands issued to the driver for MODE_SENSE for disk geometry page).

The kernel just makes them up.
The head/cylinder/sector stuff is just fiction anyway.
The disk geometry mode page is obsolete, but keep your
mode page logic as it is useful in other situations.

Doug Gilbert

-