Re: Looking for some help understanding error handling

On 10/5/18 5:51 PM, Chris.Moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Thanks Hannes,
>
> After some pointers from Shane Seymour I found that the FC and SRP transport layers
> have a devloss timer, so that when a device disappears they hold on to the target
> information for a time waiting to see if it comes back.  The SAS transport layer
> doesn't have that feature.
>
> The options for me then would be to modify scsi_transport_sas.c to implement
> the devloss timeout, or to put that functionality into my LLDD.
>
> I'm willing to put the work into the SAS transport and libsas, but I suspect there's
> not a universal need for it.  And since my LLDD is for internal use at our company and
> won't be upstreamed, I'll probably just do the work there.  If anyone feels that this
> is a feature that more people would want then I'll look into doing that.

Well ... there has always been some need to have a dev_loss_tmo handler
for SAS, too, as the same issues from FC (which led to the
implementation of the dev_loss_tmo mechanism) apply for SAS, too.
It's just that path failures on SAS occur far less often, so people
haven't really noticed.
(Correction: they have, but those experience the issues have enough
people to throw at the issue :-)

And we've already discussed if it possible to have a generic dev_loss
mechanism, as we'll be needing a similar thing for FC-NVMe, too.

So yes, as SAS dev_loss_tmo would be appreciated, and you really would
get brownie points if you make this generic for the block layer :-)

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke		   Teamlead Storage & Networking
hare@xxxxxxx			               +49 911 74053 688