RE: MegaCli fails to communicate with Raid-Controller

I think you may see issue with 4.6 kernel as well. This is run time memory
allocation failure. Older controller used 32 bit consistence DMA mask, so
possibility of memory allocation failure is high compare to 64 bit
consistence DMA mask. Newer controller has fix in this area, but you are
using gen-1 controller. ("Dell R710, MegaRAID SAS 1078").

There can be a two possibilities.

1. This is actual memory allocation failure due to system resource issue.
2. IOCLT provided large memory length in iov and dma buffer allocation
from below API failed due to large memory chunk requested.

                kbuff_arr[i] = dma_alloc_coherent(&instance->pdev->dev,
                                                    ioc->sgl[i].iov_len,
                                                    &buf_handle,
GFP_KERNEL);

Can you change driver code *printk* to dump iov_len ? Just to confirm.

One wild guess -  You are using Xen flavor, which will reserve less memory
for Dom0 and there may be some way to increase dom0 memory. Can you tune
that as well and see ? I am not sure how to do that in your case, but in
Citrix we used to see such issue frequently compare to *default* Linux.
Providing some tuning in grub increase the dom0 memory and that make
things better compare to default settings.