Re: Multi-Actuator SAS HDD First Look

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 10:29 AM, Douglas Gilbert <dgilbert@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2018-04-02 11:34 AM, Tim Walker wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 10:52 AM, Douglas Gilbert <dgilbert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>>> Hmmm, INQUIRY (3PC bit) and REPORT LUNS seem to be counter examples to
>>> Bart's assertion. Plus there are a more that tell you about things
>>> outside
>>> the addressed LU, for example the SCSI Ports VPD page tells you about
>>> other
>>> SCSI ports hence other LUs) on the current device.
>>>

>>>  From Tim's command list:
>>>
>>> Device level
>>> ------------
>>> 0x0, 0x1: okay
>>> 0x4 (Format unit): yikes, that could be a nasty surprise, accessing a
>>> file
>>>    system on the other LU and getting an error "Not ready, format in
>>> progress"!!
>>> 0x12: standard INQUIRY okay, VPD pages not so much LU id different;
>>> relative
>>>    port id, different; target port id different (at the least)
>>> 0x1b (SSU): storage LUs need to know this model, otherwise the logic on
>>>    each LU could get into a duel: "I want it spun up; no, I want it spun
>>>    down ..."
>>> 0x35, 0x37, 0x3b, 0x3c: okay
>>> 0x48 (sanitize): similar to Format unit above
>>> 0x91,0x4c,0x4d: okay
>>> MODE SENSE/SELECT(6,10): depends on page, block descriptor needs to be
>>>    partially device level (since LB size may be changed by FU which is
>>>    device level)
>>> rest of device level: okay or (I) don't know
>>> 0xf7: READ UDS DATA, that's interesting, but proprietary I guess
>>>
>>> Perhaps you could add a rider on FU and SAN: they get rejected unless the
>>> other storage LU is in (logical) spun down state.
>>>

>>> LU specific
>>> -----------
>>> all okay, I hoping READ(6,10,12,16,32) and their WRITE cousins will be
>>>    there also :-) Plus the TMF: LU reset
>>>
>>> Device or LU
>>> ------------
>>> all okay
>>>

>>> I'm intrigued by your 3 LU model. My wish list for that:
>>>
>>> LUN 0 would be processor device type (0x3) so it wouldn't confuse the
>>> OS (Linux) that it held storage (READ CAPACITY is mandatory for PDT 0x0
>>> and cannot represent a 0 block LU) and you could pick and choose which
>>> SCSI commands to implement on it. LUN 0 TUR could report what the spindle
>>> was really doing, SSU could do precisely what it is told (and SSU on LUNs
>>> 1 and 2 would be an "and" for spin down and an "or" for spin up). I've
>>> got several boxes full of SAS cables and only one cable that I can think
>>> of that lets me get to the secondary SAS port. So on LUN 0 you could have
>>> a proprietary (unless T10 takes it on board) mode page to enable the user
>>> to say which ports that LUNs 1 and 2 where accessible on. Obviously LUN 0
>>> would need to be accessible on both ports. [A non-accessible LUN would
>>> still respond to INQUIRY but with a first byte of 07f: PDT=0x1f (unknown)
>>> and PQ=3 which implies it is there but inaccessible via the current
>>> port.]
>>>
>>> A processor PDT opens up the possibility of putting a copy manager on
>>> LUN 0. Think offloaded (from main machine's perspective) backups and
>>> restores where LUN 1 or 2 is the source or destination.
>>>
>>> Enough dreaming.
>>>
>>> Doug Gilbert
>>

>> Thanks for all the input from everybody. I'll collate it for a meeting
>> with our interface architect.
>

> Just to amplify the case against a FU or SAN being allowed at almost any
> time from either storage LU irrespective of what the other was doing.
> Imagine one initiator has some important data on one LU and has an
> EXCLUSIVE ACCESS persistent reservation on it. Then another initiator
> (e.g. on a different machine) sends a FU to the other LU which is
> honoured, wiping the whole device. One unhappy customer ....
>
> Doug Gilbert

Thanks, Doug. That is very clear, and I get it. We'll have a solution.

Best regards,
-Tim

--
Tim Walker
Product Design Systems Engineering, Seagate Technology