Re: SSD being put to sleep during boot-up when laptop on battery

On Sun, 24 Dec 2017, Adam Bennett wrote:

> Alan,
>
> I have a Dell Precision 7520 with an Samsung SSD in addition to an NVMe
> drive.  I'm currently running 4.14.8 but have seen the below problem
> since I moved from 4.9 to 4.13.
>
> When I boot without AC plugged in, the SSD is stopped almost immediately
> in the boot process, not allowing the boot to continue.
>
> I can boot on fine on AC.  When I unplug the cord, I see the "Stopping
> disk" message, and the system is unresponsive until I plug the AC back in.
>
> I initially thought the problem was in user-space, but I set up
> laptop-mode-tools to keep "control" as "on", and the problem still
> persists.  Also, I don't see the issue in 4.9.

It's entirely possible that the problem does lie in userspace, during
boot-up.  Don't forget that your initramfs image could be causing this;
have you tried to rebuild it with the new laptop settings?

> I have temporarily worked around the problem by returning from
> sd_suspend_runtime without calling sd_suspend_common in sd.c (obviously
> not the true fix).
>
> I have tried a number of searches, and couldn't find any bug reports of
> this nature, but I'm not that in-tune with the linux development process
> to have searched all the correct places.

This should be sent to the linux-pm and linux-scsi mailing lists
(CC'ed).

> I'd like to help track this problem down, do you have any suggestions or
> is there some additional details I could provide?

You can try bisecting between the 4.9 and 4.13 kernels to find the
commit which first caused the problem.

Alan Stern