Re: target-pending/for-next patches

On Wed, 2017-11-08 at 01:37 -0800, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> On Sun, 2017-11-05 at 08:05 -0800, James Bottomley wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 2017-11-04 at 18:14 -0700, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Just a friendly email after catching up on patches this week, the
> > > majority of those outstanding on the list have been merged into
> > > target-pending/for-next.  Please see below.
> > >
> > > For those who submitted patches, please have a look and let me
> > > know if anything is else missing.  Note there are two exceptions
> > > that have been left out for now that I'll be following up with
> > > separately.
> > >
> > > Thus far it's all been either straight-forward bug-fixes, minor
> > > cleanups, or small miscellaneous enhancements.  AFAICT, nothing
> > > looks particularly concerning.
> >
> > The concern would be you dumping a tree on the eve of a merge
> > window, which you're presumably going to send to Linus in a week or
> > so, when the last time you appeared was a fixes pull in 12 August,
> > because it suggests this lot is just some randomly chosen selection
> > to try to keep the tree alive.
>
> No.  The tree contains outstanding bug-fixes and very minor
> improvements.
>
> Do you have an objection to a particular patch..?

Just the CommitDate on all of them as I said.  The main problem is that
it's 4 November and there's no other commit activity for an earlier
date in this merge window cycle.

> >  I really wouldn't do it like this: I know Linus doesn't care too
> > much for SCSI stuff and if you're lucky he may be too busy yelling
> > at Jens to notice, but if not, you'll find yourself on the
> > receiving end of his ire and that will damage the reputation of
> > your tree a lot.
>
> I'd rather target-pending/for-next be judged on patches, and not
> preconceived fear of including bug-fixes that address end-user issues
> close to a merge window.

A tree is judged on the trustworthiness of its maintainer. Linus uses
process, feedback, regression handling and other markers to make that
assessment.  Having a three month gap in the CommitDate indicates a
haphazard approach to the process of maintaining the tree.

> > If the work of running the target tree has got too much, get a
> > patch wrangler who can help with the process stuff you're
> > completely lacking, like reviews and testing and long incubation in
> > linux-next for exposure to 0day.
>
> The past release has been exceedingly slow in drivers/target/, with
> the rate of incoming patches is down to ~2 per week.  Those queued
> are specific to drivers/target/ and don't run afoul of linux-next and
> 0-day builds.

Neither has actually caught up fully to your tree yet, if you check so
the results should start coming in soon.

> Personally, I'm still focused on bug-fixing and ensuring patches make
> it back to v4.x.y linux-stable.git.  However, there are still few
> people working on bugs specific to host <-> fabric <-> target-core <-
> > backend configurations, beyond individual components fixes.
>

> > I'm sure we can find several volunteers.
>
> Sure, a patch wrangler would be helpful.
>
> Where things tend to run into trouble is when someone starts merging
> subsystem changes, but aren't directly responsible for distro
> releases or production users running linux-stable.git code.
>
> That said, I'd prefer someone with 'skin in the game' and end-users
> they support.

OK, so did you have anyone in mind?

James