Re: [sbp2] external hard disk shutdown timer

Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 11:27:12 -0400
Subject: Re: [sbp2] external hard disk shutdown timer

> Stefan Richter wrote:
> > Douglas Gilbert wrote:

> >> I would be surprised if you could change IDLE or
> >> ICT on a SCSI disk and even more surprised if
> >> that could be done through a bridge to an ATA
> >> disk (as is happening in your case).
>
> It seems that <olecom@xxxxxxx> hopes the the SCSI "idle"
> power condition will map to the ATA STANDBY command
> (as the ATA IDLE command action looks pretty vague).

I didn't hope on anything, actually, but wanted to find in t10's specs,
what i saw in sdparm output.

In "SCSI Primary Commands - 2 (SPC-2): 8.3.9 Power condition page"
<http://t10.org/ftp/t10/drafts/spc2/spc2r20.pdf> page 204
i've found that matched what i wanted: IDLE and STANDBY timers in 1Ah table.
It seemed OK to me with that i saw in sdparm.

Anyway thank you, guys, i wish you keep good work done well !

P.S.

Finally it was like "wake up, Neo" for me. Why i don't use "standard flow"
to do things ? I mean load wiXP, ask WD support ? From WD's FAQ:
,-
|- Question
| Do Western Digital external hard drives spin down after a certain amount
| of inactivity time? How can I disable this feature?
|- Answer
| The external hard drives listed below will spin down (enter into power saver mode)
| after 10 minutes of drive inactivity. Once the drive is accessed again, the drive
| will exit from the power saver mode and spin back up.
|
| Please Note: This is a permanent feature of the external hard drives and cannot
| be disabled.
`-
Finita.

So, Douglas, this one isn't for 24x7 at all. But i think 250GB just for backup isn't
good, thus 10 minutes is a very short time interval. So, i need something like
'dd count=1 </dev/ext-wd' every 9 minutes in cron :-)

--
-o--=O`C
 #oo'L O

-