Re: cd burning with plextor drives.

On Sunday 30 July 2006 21:57, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, Christer Weinigel wrote:
> > Joerg is correct about this.  I just went through the cdrecord sources
> > (from Fedora Core 5 with a DVD patch) and took a quick look at what
> > commands and mode pages were used by the different files.  I've
> > probably missed a few things, but this ought to give you and idea
> > about what is needed to burn a CD:
>
> Umm. I suspect you are either looking at the really old drives (like over
> a decade ago), when there were indeed lots of CD-burners that had very
> specific commands because the standard was new or nonexistent.
>
> Or you're looking at some extended commands that cdrecord _knows_ about
> and can use, but that aren't necessarily standard or supported on all
> CD-ROM drives.
>
> I really _would_ be pretty surprised if you can't do standard CD-ROM (and
> DVD) burning with the standard MMC commands with just about _any_ drive
> that is more recent than ten years old.

That was my impression as well - perhaps this could be solved by making the
MMC-commands valid for any CD-writer device, and making LightScribe,
BurnProff, etc available only to root? or, by a special vendor->permission
table like suggested previously? That would change the bug reports to
simply "my drive can't do BurnProof unless I'm root", instead of "my drive
can't burn unless I'm root". That's clearly more manageable, right?

--
Regards,
Christian Iversen