RedHat EL4 install does not find RAID set with 3WARE 9550SX

I have been attempting to install RHEL4 (update 3) on a dual-Opteron
system with a 3WARE 9550SX RAID controller and 4 disks.

I have configured it with one exportable unit as RAID5. I have forced
a verify on this, yet the OS install disk will not recognise that any
disks exist in the system that can be used for the install. According
to 3WARE's  website, I should not need a driver disk as long as I am
using a release greater than U2 (which I am). In fact 3WARE does not
provide a driver disk for RHEL4 U3.

I have tried both 32 bit and 64-bit installs, with no success. During
the install process, it prompts me to load additional drivers and I
select the 3w-9xxxx driver.

The system rescue live CD can find the exported RAID unit -- I was
able to partition it when I booted from the System Rescue CD.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Regards,
Simon
-