Re: cd burning with plextor drives.

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> But you can try to _improve_ the filtering. We've certainly done that
> before. Quite frankly, I don't think there's a lot there that can be
> improved upon any more, but it's certainly an option that we could change
> that filtering to be (a) per-device and (b) allow root to explicitly
> change it on a per-machine and per-device setting, with the current
> filtering rules being just the "default rules".

The filtering can definitely be improved.  Today sg_io filters on SCSI
commands only, but it really ought to have a filter for mode pages[1]
too.  The burn proof setting for a drive could be in a vendor specific
mode page and cdrecord should be able to write to it.  Another page
controls the SCSI bus timings and shold definitely not be writable by
cdrecord.

Or we could just do as Jörg Schilling says: trust him and just make
cdrecord suid root.

  /Christer

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI_mode_pages

Freelance consultant specializing in device driver programming for Linux
Christer Weinigel <christer@xxxxxxxxxxx>  http://www.weinigel.se
-