Re: cd burning with plextor drives.

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, Douglas Gilbert wrote:

> See below. Non-root users do not usually have read
> or write permissions to a _disk_. We were talking
> about a different class of devices: cd/dvd drives.

What has that got to do with _anything_?

What do you think is the difference between a disk and a CD drive?

And do you really think that it's the _medium_ that looks at the commands?
I don't think so. Regardless of whether it's a disk or a CD-ROM, it's the
controller in the _drive_ that looks and acts on those commands.

And that CD drive (that you have write access to) also has things like
firmware. And how do you think that firmware is updated? By magic? Or by
SCSI commands sent to the drive?

(Yeah, I realize that it's also possible that the firmware update could
happen by the drive just reading a disk, since the controller will do
various things on its own anyway. I don't actually know if that is ever
the case, or possibly even the _common_ case, but my wild guess would be
that it's a lot more common to have a firmware update SCSI command than to
have the drive able to update its own firmware).

Are you _really_ suggesting that people who happen to log in to the
console should automatically also be allowed to rewrite the CD-ROM drive
firmware, just because they are supposed to be able to write to the CD-ROM
media in that drive? Or do other random things that the kernel really
doesn't know what they do?

For all we know, every single vendor-specific command might be a "please
self-descruct now" command. That would be a pretty stupid vendor, but hey,
nothing is impossible.

If you really think that normal people should be able to send arbitrary
SCSI commands to their CD-ROM unit, just because they should be able to
write to the _platter_ that happens to have been inserted into that unit,
then you really are crazy.

By updating the firmware on the CD-ROM drive, you can basically make it be
nonfunctional.

Or do you know what all those vendor-specific commands do? In that case,
we could just say "ok, for this particular device, we know this command is
safe, so we can let it through".

> You weren't at the storage summit. As stated in other
> posts to this thread it was concluded that command
> filtering is a flawed strategy. With that consensus
> that leaves the "disallow all command access for
> non-specific-capability users" option.

Apparently it was good that I wasn't at that storage summit, because you
guys clearly don't care about users or sanity, and I'd just have been
frustrated.

We _do_ want to allow users to write their own disks without SUID programs
if at all possible, and if for no other reason than the fact that people
expect it to work, and so far every SUID program to do so has been a
disaster (I'm not saying that it necessarily _always_ is a disaster, and
I'm not saying it's wrong, but at least historically it has been).

And that BY DEFINITION means that we need to do filtering. No ifs, buts or
maybes about it.

> By current rules I suppose you mean the block SG_IO rules. Do you really
> mean "per-device" as in /dev/hdc or "per-device-type" as in disk versus
> cd/dvd drive?

Per-device as in /dev/hdc. Every device node would need to have its own
filtering rule.

> Why didn't you jump on either of these posts:

Because I don't read linux-scsi? I replied when I was Cc'd and noticed
(and hey, I sometimes get too much personal email too, so that "and
noticed" is actually important. The fact that I don't reply to everything
doesn't mean that I read it, understood it, and agreed with it).

			Linus
-