Re: [ANNOUNCE]: Broadcom (Emulex) FC Target driver - efct

On 06/13/2017 01:08 AM, James Smart wrote:
> Here's what I'd like to propose for a direction:
> 1) Create an initiator driver and a target driver.  For now, initiator
> would support both SCSI and NVME initiator. Target would support SCSI
> and NVME target.
> 2) SLI3 support would be contained only within the initiator driver and
> limited to SCSI (as it is today in lpfc).
> 3) SLI4 support would be library-ized,so that the code can be shared
> between the two drivers.  Library-izing SLI-4 means SLI-3 will also be
> library-ized.
> 4) Discovery support would be librarized so it can be shared. As part of
> this effort we will minimally move generic functions from the library to
> drivers/scsi/libfc (example: setting RPA payloads, etc).  At this time,
> the drivers will not attempt to use libfc for discovery. There is too
> much sensitive code tied to interlocks with adapter api design that are
> visible in the discovery state machine. Use of libfc can be a future,
> but for the short term, the goal is a single library for the broadcom
> initiator/target drivers.

Good idea, but be aware that libfc unfortunately is using skbs
internally which I don't like, but didn't have the time to clean it up.

> 5) lpfc will be refactored, addressing concerns that have been desired
> for a while.

\o/

When doing you refactoring can you please have a look at the levels of
indent (not more than 3 if possible), no unnecessary camelCase, etc...

The cyclomatic complexity GCC plugin we have in scripts/gcc-plugins
could be of help here, though I only have read about it and never really
used myself.

--
Johannes Thumshirn                                          Storage
jthumshirn@xxxxxxx                                +49 911 74053 689