Re: problem with discard granularity in sd

David,

> I am wondering if part of the issue is that in my use case, UNMAP and
> WRITE SAME zeros result in very different results.  With thin
> provisioned LUNs, UNMAP requests result in the blocks being freed and
> thus reduces the actual size of the LUN allocation on disk.  If WRITE
> SAME requests are used to zero the blocks, they remain allocated and
> thus the real size of the LUN grows to match the allocated size
> (effectively thick-provisioning the LUN).

The filer explicitly reported support for WRITE SAME(10/16) with UNMAP.
It seems very odd that it would then completely ignore the UNMAP bit and
do a regular WRITE SAME.

Are you running latest firmware, btw.?

In any case. The changes I mentioned are now queued up for 4.12. But
it'll obviously take a while for those to trickle into the
distributions...