Re: Asynchronous scsi scanning, version 9

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 09:18:28AM -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 07:44:42AM -0700, Matthew Dharm wrote:
> > As for using one Scsi_Host... there are several usb-storage devices which
> > attach to an entire SCSI bus (not just a single target), so can't make each
> > device it's own target.
>
> Oh.  My fault for reading the comment rather than the code.
>
>                 /* reject if target != 0 or if LUN is higher than
>                  * the maximum known LUN
>                  */
>                 else if (us->srb->device->id &&
>                                 !(us->flags & US_FL_SCM_MULT_TARG)) {
>
> Do these devices stick to occupying only target IDs from 0-7?  If not,
> you may wish to increase ->max_id for those devices.  I think it'd be worth
> exporting scsi_scan_channel() from the midlayer (and rearranging it to have
> __scsi_scan_channel() as was done with __scsi_scan_target) for USB's benefit.

These support target IDs to up 15.  But I see the point of limiting
->max_id for devices which do not have the SCM_MULT_TARG flag set.

> It's definitely possible to remove individual targets dynamically now;
> Fibre Channel has sorted that out (and will complain loudly if it breaks).
> The scsi core doesn't really have a channel object; channel is just an integer
> that describes a path to a target.  So I think there should be no problem in
> converting USB to have one host and many channels.

Interesting.

What's the limit on the number of channels you can have?

How do I set up multiple channels in code?

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What, are you one of those Microsoft-bashing Linux freaks?
					-- Customer to Greg
User Friendly, 2/10/1999