Re: [ANNOUNCE]: Broadcom (Emulex) FC Target driver - efct

On 02/28/2017 07:14 PM, James Smart wrote:

> On 2/28/2017 8:34 AM, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
>> Can you clarify these?
>> Are these 'just' resource allocation problems or something else, too?
>
> Most are resource allocation - buffer pools, dma pools, pages for
> resources, and hw resource allocation splits. However, async receive RQ
> policies are a case where initiator and target have to share the policy
> and perhaps a buffer pool, so they have to be careful. Another area is
> in ABTS handling. Initiators typically leave things up to the hardware,
> and do little if any ABTS handling. Most targets though, as CMD IU may
> be received without an assign exchange context and be buffered until the
> target is ready to do something, require that they handle ABTS's.  Some
> of the target features, when enabled, dictate host ownership of ABTS
> policy. So, if running I+T, it gets rather tricky.

Ah, okay.
However, I still would favour having both integrated into the same
driver; otherwise we run into the tricky issue of having to manually
unbind drivers from a given PCI device (or declare some PCI devices as
target capable on a rather arbitrary manner).
Can't it be modelled like the NVME-FC target, with having the same
driver supporting all modes, but the admin having to decide which PCI
function is doing what?
(NB: What about SR-IOV? Are the resources shared across functions or
does each function have its own set? If so than I'd be perfectly happy
if we could set each _function_ to a given role, much like
VirtualConnect does nowadays).

Cheers,

Hannes
hare@xxxxxxx			      +49 911 74053 688