Re: Controller failing, driver not behaving nicely

On Wednesday 21 June 2006 00:47, adam radford wrote:
> Christian,
>
> 0x28 is the scsi opcode for READ_10, which means the command that
> failed was a read command.

Makes sense - that just happened to be what the kernel requested at the time.

> The driver is trying to reset the card, however it is failing the reset.
>
> "AEN drain failed, retrying." means your card is not responding.

I assume it's trying to flush all pending commands or somesuch? What is AEN?

> I would suggest reseating your card if you have moved it recently,

I have - but only because I had this problem before, and I tried to solve it
that way. So that's not going to work, I'm afraid.

> or the card could be dying in which case you should contact 3ware/AMCC
> support.

Yeah I feared that. Too bad, it was a good card :-(

(It's bought off of eBay, so I don't think there's any hope for a
replacement).

Thank you very much for the help!

Wait - how is it that a driver can't reset the card, but a hw reset always
can? Is there some more fundamental type of reset possible, than what the
driver currently tries? Or would that require resetting everything?

It would be ultra-neat if the driver could just stall for a few seconds (or
even a minute). That'd be so much more bearable, compared to a terabyte-class
raid5 just suddenly failing.

Or at least, maybe the driver could try to reset the card a few more times?
Sometimes it seems to work after a couple of attempts.

--
Regards,
Christian Iversen