Re: Reduced latency is killing performance

On 11/11/2016 08:02 AM, Elliott, Robert (Persistent Memory) wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-block-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:linux-block-
owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Hannes Reinecke
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2016 10:05 AM
To: Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx>; Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxx>
block@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Reduced latency is killing performance

Hi all,

this really feels like a follow-up to the discussion we've had in
Santa Fe, but finally I'm able to substantiate it with some numbers.

I've made a patch to enable the megaraid_sas driver for multiqueue.
While this is pretty straightforward (I'll be sending the patchset
later on), the results are ... interesting.

I've run the 'ssd-test.fio' script from Jens' repository, and these
results for MQ/SQ (- is mq, + is sq):

 Run status group 0 (all jobs):  [4 KiB sequential reads]
-   READ: io=10641MB, aggrb=181503KB/s
+   READ: io=18370MB, aggrb=312572KB/s

 Run status group 1 (all jobs):  [4 KiB random reads]
-   READ: io=441444KB, aggrb=7303KB/s
+   READ: io=223108KB, aggrb=3707KB/s

 Run status group 2 (all jobs):  [4 KiB sequential writes]
-  WRITE: io=22485MB, aggrb=383729KB/s
+  WRITE: io=47421MB, aggrb=807581KB/s

 Run status group 3 (all jobs):  [4 KiB random writes]
-  WRITE: io=489852KB, aggrb=8110KB/s
+  WRITE: io=489748KB, aggrb=8134KB/s

 Disk stats (read/write):
-  sda: ios=2834412/5878578, merge=0/0
+  sda: ios=205278/2680329, merge=4552593/9580622

[deleted minb, maxb, mint, maxt, ticks, in_queue, and util above]

As you can see, we're really losing performance in the multiqueue
case.
And the main reason for that is that we submit about _10 times_ as
much I/O as we do for the single-queue case.

That script is running:
0) 4 KiB sequential reads
1) 4 KiB random reads
2) 4 KiB sequential writes
3) 4 KiB random writes

I think you're just seeing a lack of merges for the tiny sequential
workloads.  Those are the ones where mq has lower aggrb results.

Yep.

Check the value in /sys/block/sda/queue/nomerges. The values are
    0=search for fast and slower merges
    1=only attempt fast merges
    2=don't attempt any merges

It's set to '0'.

The SNIA Enterprise Solid State Storage Performance Test Specification
(SSS PTS-E) only measures 128 KiB and 1 MiB sequential IOs - it doesn't
test tiny sequential IOs.  Applications may do anything, but I think
most understand that fewer, bigger transfers are more efficient
throughout the IO stack.  A blocksize of 128 KiB would reduce those
IOs by 96%.

Note: it's just the test which has been named 'SSD'. The devices themselves were no SSDs; just normal disks.

For hpsa, we often turned them off to avoid the overhead while running
applications generating decent-sized IOs on their own.

Note that the random read aggrb value doubled with mq, and random
writes showed no impact.

You might also want to set
    cpus_allowed_policy=split
to keep threads from wandering across CPUs (and thus changing queues).

Done so; no difference.

So I guess having an I/O scheduler is critical, even for the scsi-mq
case.

blk-mq still supports merges without any scheduler.

But it doesn't _do_ merging, as the example nicely shows.

So if we could get merging going we should be halfway there ...

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke		   Teamlead Storage & Networking
hare@xxxxxxx			               +49 911 74053 688