Re: ATA Pass-Through support

Quat Le wrote:
> Doug,
> Thanks for the info. I thought LSI SAS HBA is not using libata.  What
> SAS HBA were you using?

The interesting part of libata for this discussion is
its SCSI to ATA Translation Layer (SATL). Since about
lk 2.6.15 it has implemented the ATA PASS THROUGH SCSI
commands (see sat-r08.pdf at www.t10.org).

My example code only assumed a SCSI pass through
(SG_IO in this case) and a SATL ** that implements
the ATA PASS THROUGH SCSI commands. The MPT Fusion SAS
HBAs have their own SATL (not libata based) but unfortunately
don't implement the ATA pass through commands. My information
is that they will in the future. They do have a proprietary
ATA command passthrough.

I also use an adaptec 48300 SAS HBA. There are several Linux
drivers for the the 94xx chipset inside the 48300. At least
one supports a working SATL with an ATA pass through.
Others may follow soon (or my information may be a little
out of date).

** the SATL doesn't have to be in the OS proper (like libata),
   it could be in the HBA firmware, a FC switch or even on
   the device. Some aspects of a SATL are transport dependent
   so there may be advantages of having it somewhere other than
   in libata.

Doug Gilbert

-