Re: Fw: SCSI device not spinning up on rw

Douglas Gilbert wrote:
I have a SCSI disk, which I want to spin down when the system is not in
use. I do this by using sdparm, scsi-spin or sg-utils. These tools all
spin down the SCSI drive by using an IOCTL.

Problem is that the kernel doesn't spin the drive back up. When a
process requests data from the disk (a simple ls), the kernel responds
with an I/O error. After some of these errors, reiserfs marks the drive
read-only.

Setting sdev->allow_restart in struct scsi_device will cause sense
key/code/qual of 02/04/02 (not ready, initialization command required)
to wake up the scsi error handler and will force scsi core to issue
a start unit command to the disk. I added this a while back to handle
ipr raid arrays which need a start unit command each time the adapter
gets reset. It would be easy enough for sd to use this, either
all the time, or only when directed to, or we could add a sysfs attribute
to the disk to enable/disable this behavior.

Brian

-