RE: resizing LUN (not file system) while the file system (ext3) i sonline

Hi folks,

Since I am the author of the EMC knowledge base article (emc122304)
mentioned I feel I should respond to this thread.

Andrey,

You are correct.  Overcautious is exactly what I was shooting for...so it
worked.  Remember, complete newbies (Windows Admins that get Linux added to
their responsibility) read these knowledge base articles and then try them
out on their company's vital data.

Limin,

LVM can be done online by adding an additional PV.  I've had a customer
expand their single PV "behind the scenes".  Is there a way to get LVM to
recognize a resized PV?  If so please share because I couldn't find a
command to do it.

Stephen,

The article is dated 11/18/2005 and states "ext3 does not support online
expansion...yet".  So yes it is very out of date.

I will get to work updating emc122304.  Did this behavior start in base
RHEL4 (2.6.9-5)?

Cheers,

-Keith