From: Matthew Wilcox [mailto:matthew@xxxxxx]
Sent: Thu 4/13/2006 10:24 AM
To: Cameron, Steve
Cc: linux-scsi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: HBA self selection

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:58:50AM -0500, Cameron, Steve wrote:
> There exist some target devices which depend on the adapter being
> able to do self selection.  The HP MSA30 presents a processor device
> at ID 7, for instance.
>
> The processor device at ID 7 will generally not be accessible, because
> the HBA is generally at this ID.  The processor device doesn't care that the
> HBA is at id 7.  He says, "hmm, the adapter is talking to himself,
> that means, he's talking to me."   It's just a way to put a processor
> device on the bus without really "using up" a scsi id, since there
> are only a few of them.

Hmm.  That means it never used to work with sym2 -- has anyone ever
tested the MSA30 with an LSI 1010/896 card?  I appreciate it's an U320
device, so that's probably not a common configuration.

I can take the code out that prevents us talking to the bus; it's pretty
much a one-liner:

-        if (sdev->id == np->myaddr) {
-                sym_xpt_done2(np, cmd, DID_NO_CONNECT);
-                return 0;

but I'd like this change tested, if you wouldn't mind.  After the
midlayer's fixed, of course ;-)

-