Re: command queueing cmd_per_lun, queue_depth and tags

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 03:04:47PM -0500, Brian King wrote:
> Patrick Mansfield wrote:

> > I should not have used "untagged", that is misleading and a problem with
> > current scsi core, where we reference tcq, tags, and don't seem to mention
> > task attributes.
> >
> > But LLDD can override anything in slave_configure.
>
> I guess my biggest problem with this part of the patch is that it prevents an
> LLDD that wants this behavior from being able to use scsi_adjust_queue_depth
> to set the queue depth, whether it be in slave_configure, change_queue_depth, etc.
>
> > Also, it looks like we could safely use cmd_per_lun as the default
> > queue_depth, rather than setting it to 1 as done in my previous
> > post/patch.
>
> Ok. If we do that and also allow scsi_adjust_queue_depth
> to adjust the queue depth when tagged == 0, as is allowed today,
> then I think most of my objections to the patch should disappear,
> although it may require me to make a couple ipr changes.

Yeh, and then there is not really anything left of my patch, small as it
was, just the check for BQUE and calling scsi_activate_tcq(). And calling
scsi_activate_tcq if tagged_supported should be a separate patch that also
includes any required driver changes (like with ipr to call
scsi_deactivate_tcq, and an audit of all other drivers ...).

Really I was confused by scsi_mid_low_api.txt and code mentioning tags
along with cmd_per_lun and LLD abilities, like this:

	The mid level invokes scsi_adjust_queue_depth() with tagged
	queuing off and "cmd_per_lun" for that host as the queue length.
	These settings can be overridden by a slave_configure() supplied
	by the LLD.

But it makes no sense to set "tagged queuing off" on transports like FCP.

So, it is fine to use cmd_per_lun as the default queue_depth, without
any adjustments (in slave_configure) via scsi_adjust_queue_depth or
scsi_activate_tcq.

-- Patrick Mansfield
-