Re: SCSI selection issue with aic7xxx_old driver

On Mar 31, 2006, at 4:59 AM, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 11:51 -0600, Kevin K wrote:
I'm in the process up converting from RHEL 2.1 to RHEL 4, and have
encountered an issue with the aic7xxx_old driver (5.2.6, as provided
with the RH 2.4.9-34 kernel, and with 2.6.15.5 kernel).

  The SCSI card is an Adaptec 2940U card.

  Namely, an old SCSI device isn't being seen very often.  Maybe 1 in
10 times loading the module.  Under the 2.4.18 kernel, it was always
seen using this driver except in the case of hardware/cabling issues.

  With the same hardware and OS, but using the new driver (aic7xxx),
the hardware is consistently seen.

well... sounds you have a solution right there... ;)
the _old driver isn't really actively maintained anymore since... a long
time. At least the "new" one has been getting maintenance

Unfortunately, the main reason we've stayed with the old driver was that an application we inherited didn't work properly at a low level with the "new" driver, even on versions of the Linux Kernel, such as 2.4.18, that the application worked with the "old" driver.

Now, with attempting to port it to a more modern Linux kernel and distribution, we appear to have a choice of finally getting it to work with the new driver, since the old driver isn't seeing the hardware properly.

We were just hoping to eliminate one stumbling block by remaining with the old driver. It isn't like we are using modern hardware. The 2940 is quite old now, and the SCSI device is older still ;)

Thanks,
-