Re: Maxtor drive doesn't wake from sleep

Mi wrote at linux1394-devel:
Hello,

I have 3 external firewire Maxtor One Touch III drives, which appear to go into a "sleep" state after between one and two hours, and cannot be accessed after that.

After a lot of searches and tests, I have found a few clues, but still wonder why they don't wake up automatically as needed. Is there anything I can do to my system so that it "Just Works"? Is this a known problem?

There are very few vendors which implement auto-spin-down in FireWire disk enclosures. And of these few, only few get it right.

To have the drive re-appear, I found I can

  rmmod sbp2
  modprobe sbp2

and I later found scsi-spin which is also able to wake up the drive:

  scsi-spin -u /dev/sdd

But since these drives are on a server and suposed to be mounted with automount, these manual steps to wake them are nt much help.

Note that there is absolutely nothing in the logs when the drive goes to sleep. Only errors when I try to access them:

   kernel: Device sdd not ready.
   kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 0

I don't think this could be solved in the FireWire drivers. It seems sd_mod is the place to look for a solution. The sbp2 driver is not aware that there is something wrong with the disk, else there would be error messages.

That's why I added linux-scsi to the recipients. I'd be glad if somebody of the SCSI folk could comment.

My system is Debian stable (Sarge / 3.1) with kernel 2.6:

# uname -a
Linux gc 2.6.8-2-686 #1 Tue Aug 16 13:22:48 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

This is quite an old kernel. I don't know though if newer kernels contain changes to sd_mod which are relevant to the problem.

In case it's relevant, the Firewire card is

0000:02:02.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB82AA2 IEEE-1394b Link Layer Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
       Subsystem: Timedia Technology Co Ltd: Unknown device 3110
       Memory at fe9ff800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
       Memory at fe9f8000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]

and an excerpt from lsmod (I kept the loaded modules which looked relevant + the ones I didn't know):

sbp2                   24392  0
ohci1394               35492  0
ieee1394              111512  2 sbp2,ohci1394
shpchp                101900  0
pciehp                 99020  0
pci_hotplug            34640  2 shpchp,pciehp
ide_scsi               17412  0
capability              4520  0
commoncap               7232  1 capability
mbcache                 9348  2 ext2,ext3
sd_mod                 21728  11
scsi_mod              125228  5 sbp2,aic79xx,ide_scsi,sd_mod,aic7xxx

I don't know how to find out the module versions, but they are the modules which come with that stock Debian kernel.

Thanks for any help

Stefan Richter