Re: SCSI target and IO-throttling

On Mar 8, 2006, at 10:35 AM, Vladislav Bolkhovitin wrote:

Bryan Henderson wrote:
Why would the queue have a greater capacity than what is needed when you care about performance? Is there some non-performance reason to have a giant queue? I still think having a giant queue is not a solution to any flow control (or, in the words of the original problem, I/O throttling) problem. I'm even skeptical that there's any size you can make one that would avoid queue full conditions. It would be like avoiding difficult memory allocation algorithms by just having a whole lot of memory.

Yes, you're correct. But can you formulate a practical common rule working on any SCSI transport, including FC, on which a SCSI target, which knows some limit, can tell it to an initiator, so it will not try to queue too many commands, please? It looks like I have no choice, except doing "giant" queue on target hoping that initiators are smart enough to not queue so many commands that it starts seeing timeouts.

I still don't understand why you are reluctant to return TASK_SET_FULL or BUSY in this case; it's what the SCSI standard supplies as the way to say "don't queue too many commands, please".

If you don't want to return TASK_SET_FULL, then yes, an effectively unbounded command queue is your only alternative.

Regards,
-Steve
--
Steve Byan <smb@xxxxxxxxxxx>