Re: [RFC] first cut at infrastructure for handling different devicetypes in the sas class

On Friday, March 03, 2006 9:05 PM, James Bottomley wrote:

This one actually does the end devices, since that's all I really have
to work with in my setup.  However, I can do the expanders in the same
way.  The idea is to make the rphy embedded in the enveloping device
structure, so the code which doesn't care about type can still treat the
code as a simple rphy, and the code that does care can cast out to the
device type.

I'm not clear what your intent is here.  All the info is there, so I'm not sure
why this change is needed.  The sas_transport implementation Christoph
has layed out is a flat model.  In /sys/class/sas_phy, you will see all the
phys for both hba and expander all togeather in the tree.The rphy is at the end of a phy link, where it the target protocol could be SMP, STP, SATA, or SAS; e.g. you can see that in rphy->identify.target_port_protocols. You can figure out whether its an end device by the attribute by rphy->indentify.device_type, which could be SAS_END_DEVICE, SAS_EDGE_EXPANDER, SAS_FANOUT_EXPANDER, or SAS_PHY_UNUSED.

Temporarily, because mptsas doesn't do this, I've put a flag in to
indicate whether the rphy is enveloped or not, however, if we enforce
this for everything, then eventually that would go away.

Ok, I'm not sure what this comment means, in respect to mptsas.
The mptsas driver is reporting all device types to the transport class, as defined in the SAS spec.

If everyone's OK with this, I'll do expanders next.

Ok, the mptsas driver is already reporing expanders to transport class. This is handled from mptsas.c, in mptsas_probe_one_phy(), when
we call sas_phy_add().  When there is any attached devices  at
the end of a phy, we call sas_rphy_add(). Both these functions exported from sas_transport, work well for both hba, and expanders.

The patch I sent yesterday is adding support when someone needs to add a expander after the start of day, or reomove one. Its responding
to the firmware DISCOVERY event.

Eric Moore

-