Re: cpqfc gone - all compay RA4X00 Array now useless in linux?

Am Montag, 6. Februar 2006 18:46 schrieben Sie:
>Hey,
>
>I'm very very sorry that the cpqfc driver is gone because it was the
>_only_ one which supported the now very cheap Compaq FiberChannel Array
>RA4X00.
>
>With all other FC HBA's the logical volumes (LUN's) are not visible.
>---snip---
>5. Compaq RA4x00 firmware version 2.54 and later supports SSP (Selective
>Storage Presentation), which maps LUNs to a WWN.  If RA4x00 firmware prior
>2.54 (e.g. older controller) is used, or the FC HBA is replaced (another WWN
>is used), logical volumes on the RA4x00 will no longer be visible.
>---snap---
>
>So... there are 3 possibilities:
>1. Repair the cpqfc driver and but it again into linux?

The driver is a horrible hack lacking too many of really needed error
handling.

>2. Find out, how to get the RA4x00 arrays with othet HBA's running; I
> 	searched about 1 week in Google, no way..

We're working on it. The RA4x00 do things normal arrays don't or so. I'm not
yet familiar enough with this to know exactly what is needed to beat this to
work again.

>3. Aeh.. use... 2.4, use... other OS?

The 2.4 might work. And I might have some patches for you to make it a bit
less broken. But don't expect too much from it.

>Hope to find a way... and not only kicking a working driver because of not
>as nice code and to much stack memory.

It was not really working, at least not when I (remotely via IRC) tested it
last time (some month ago).

Eike