Re: Marvell SATA status

Hoi Jeff,

Note that the Marvell chip is not RAID. See http://linux.yyz.us/sata/faq-sata-raid.html

The Marvell chip isn't listed on that page unless my eye sight is deterioting :-)

The BIOS identifies it as an Adaptec HostRAID 6041 controller (?), allows for setting up the arrays etc, however, 'lspci -vv' identifies it as a Marvell Technology MV88SX6041 RAID controller.

It could indeed be software RAID by controller, but as far as the OS is concerned the controller presents the array to the OS as a single disc...

You will have better luck on the linux-ide list, though there admittedly aren't a lot of sata_mv hackers.

Will have a look there too, thanks.

Patches are certainly welcome. sata_mv needs some more errata workarounds before it could be said to be ready for production.

The current driver doesn't work:

sys1:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1 count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
1 bytes transferred in 61.346053 seconds (0 bytes/sec)
sys1:~#

So it does recognise the drive but nothing else happens.

I certainly won't be able to complete the driver by myself... so if there's little interest in it my only option would be to use the 3ware controller...

Thanks for your help,

Jan

--

A journalist once asked the late Gandhi what he thought of the western
civilization. Gandhi replied: "Western Civilization? That would be a

----

Ships Unit
Information, Communication, Technology
Greenpeace International
Ottho Heldringstraat 5
1066 AZ  AMSTERDAM
Netherlands (MET)

direct    +31 (0)20 7182084
fax       +31 (0)20 5148151
reception +31 (0)20 5148150
email     jan.bakuwel&int.greenpeace.org
private   jan.bakuwel&hccnet.nl
(replace & by @ in the emailaddress)

-