Re: linux kernel panic when ejecting ieee1394 ipod

Andrew de Quincey wrote to linux1394-devel:
Reposting to the -devel list since there was no response on -user.

I would have responded eventually... :-)

Hi, I'm using linux kernel 2.6.14 with an generation 1 ipod connected via ieee1394/sbp2.

I can mount/unmount it and use it fine. It even works with HAL now.

The problem comes when I want to remove it. If I do:

eject /dev/sdb

The kernel panics with the following error:
Kernel panic - not syncing: PCI-DMA: high address but no IOMMU

I think there was another report about "eject" of a FireWire iPod crashing the kernel but I cannot find it in any archive anymore and do not remember which kernel version and machine architecture was affected.

The eject command does work for me with a few different SBP-2 devices, but I do not have an iPod. But more importantly, I have currently only i386 with 512 MB RAM to test. The "high address but no IOMMU" panic message is specific to x86_64.

I had only a superficial look at it so far and did not spot anything obvious. (That's because I do not know anything about Linux' memory management.) My only idea at the moment is to Cc this to linux-scsi since sd_mod does work for you but the one thing you do via the sg driver does not.

I'm using an nforce 4 motherboard (Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe). The ipod is attached to the ieee1394 port on a creative labs Audigy2 sound card (uses OHCI-1394).

I do _not_ have "Enable Phys DMA support for SBP2 (Debug)" enabled if thats any help.

--
Stefan Richter