Re: aic79xx and RAID ?

Hi,

thanks for the fast reply. :-)

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 11:37:30AM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> ah one of the software raid controllers

..
> this is in principle the right thing for this kind of software raid.
> the dmraid tool is there to support this type of software raid (bios
> supported raid) but I don't think it supports adaptec raid yet...

A software raid controller?  Never heard of such a beast before.

I always thought that there are exactly two ways to do raid,
one way is to have it all hidden in the controller, which makes the
RAID mirror appear as just a single disk to the kernel,
and the other way is to use the kernel software raid (configured with
mdadm).

I've never heard of a software raid controller, where the kernel must
do the work itself. After all, what's the controller's job and
why is it called a RAID controller then?

But I guess we have to use software (i.e. kernel driven, mdadm) raid
then?

regards
Hadmut

-