sd_sync_cache spews warnings since 2.6.1x

Hi,

Since kernel version 2.6.1something, sd.c:sd_sync_cache spews out warnings
like

FAILED
   status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
   <6>sd: Current: sense key: Illegal Request
     Additional sense: Invalid command operation code

for an external RAID that used to work fine for the last ~6 years.

The device reports the following:

scsiinfo -i /dev/sdc

Inquiry command
---------------
Relative Address                   0
Wide bus 32                        0
Wide bus 16                        1
Synchronous neg.                   1
Linked Commands                    0
Command Queueing                   1
SftRe                              0
Device Type                        0
Peripheral Qualifier               0
Removable?                         0
Device Type Modifier               0
ISO Version                        0
ECMA Version                       0
ANSI Version                       2
AENC                               0
TrmIOP                             1
Response Data Format               2
Vendor:                    Arena
Product:
Revision level:                P

I'm not quite sure how to get a report on the commands supported by
the device without digging into the kernel.

Now, as I read this, what fails is the request to write out any disk
internal caches, and unless power fails for the raid, I probably do
not need to worry.  Still, comparing 2.6.10's sd_sync_cache and
2.6.14's I can't really see why theses warnings should suddenly crop
up.

Other info:  The device is attached through an Adaptec AHA-2940U/UW/D
PCI controller on an ICH6 Buckner board.  There's also two SATA disks in
the machine (/dev/sda and /dev/sdb for linux), the failing device
being sdc.  Furthermore, a USB2 external drive is also present as
sdd.  None of the other devices complain.  In addition to the RAID,
there is an HP tape changer on the Adaptec's bus.

Am I right in not worrying too much?  What's the smart way of getting
rid of the warnings (short of commenting out the printks)?

Cheers,

        Markus

-