Re: [usb-storage] [Merging ATA passthru] on integratingSMART/ATA-Security in usb-storage driver

The problem then is with vendor specific commands as SCSI core
mangles those as well.  The vendor specific command I had issues
with is the "ATACB" ATA passthru cdb that cypress boards understand.
CDB[1] is a signature byte that must be 0x24.  Needless to say,
that leading 2 gets masked off to a 0, and the drive aborts the
ATACB.  Now cypress could have been smarter about designing their
cdb, but they wern't, and so there really needs to be a way to tell
SCSI core "hands off the cdb".

I may be remembering this "could have been smarter" choice was conscious.

This design work was done in Boise by ISD, later acquired by the Cypress San Diego people? I didn't work for them, but I knew some of the time. At the time people didn't want opaque pass thru to work, only fully transparent pass thru. People looked around for some bits that most fragile-because-opaque pass thru schemes stomp on, and found mask xE0 in CDB byte 1.

The push against making ATA pass thru too easy came from the debates over whether to encode storage requests as ATA or SCSI or USB or a mix or all three. At the time we were advocating SCSI & deprecating ATA, because ATA thru USB had reached the market first without allowing for RMB ATAPI thru USB. The revolutionary purely USB encoding that a solution like ub.ko allows had no traction at all.

Another analogous theoretical possibility we deprecated at the same time was devices that simultaneously accepted both CBI & BBB encodings of SCSI. Again the issue was the hosts that might have neglected to rapidly adopt SCSI thru BBB, and thus implicitly RMB support, if ATA thru CB had also been a mass-produced option.

I can't remember if the '\x24' = '$' = U.S. dollar sign pun was significant.

Certainly SCSI thru BBB worked well enough that the efforts to step further forward lost impetus. The fact that ATA, while lacking RMB support, includes encodings for purportedly useful requests that SCSI lacks, such as SMART, gathered no significant attention.
-