RE: [usb-storage] [Merging ATA passthru] on integratingSMART/ATA-Security in usb-storage driver

> On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 10:30 -0800, Timothy Thelin wrote:
> > And for an even more concrete example:
> > The CY7C68300B cypress bridge board (has various siblings as well
> > on their site that act very similar) implements SCSI spec 0 (ie it
> > doesn't claim to support any scsi spec).  Now usb-storage sees
> > this in inquiry, and decides to export the device as a scsi2 device
> > since based on the usb-storage devs' experience most usb devices
> > really want scsi2 cdbs.  So SCSI core thinks this is a scsi2 device
> > and procedes to mangle the cdbs as they're going through.
>
> What happens if you prevent USB mangling the scsi_level?  I think, for
> the most part, we would handle 0 in about the same way as we handle 2.
> However, we could gate the if around the CDB[1] mangling as
>
> if (scsi_level != SCSI_UNKNOWN && scsi_level <= SCSI_2)
>
> which should fix your problem, I think.
>
> James

Irconically that was one of the solutions I was investigating
first.  Here is the usb mailing list discussion on it:

In summary, the idea of making the scsi stack "level 0 aware" was
suggested and rejected because usb devs want to keep promoting
the devices to level 2 for various reaons.  At the end of it
they suggested using SG_FLAG_LUN_INHIBIT so that the usb device
could stay level 2 yet vendor specific commands could get passed
through un-touched. Neither of us knew that flag didn't work
anymore, and after I wasn't able to get it to work, that
other conversation I posted previously occured to figure out
what was going on with SG_FLAG_LUN_INHIBIT.

Regards,
Tim Thelin
-