Re: Adaptec SAS integration notes

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Luben Tuikov wrote:
[Jeff Garzik wrote:]
* Put HCIL mapping into top-level helper code, for sharing between FC
and SAS (hopefully!)

One step further: eliminate the ugly legacy SPI-centric HCIL from
SCSI Core.  Minimise and streamline SCSI Core.

How many times must we repeat:  that's the long term goal.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

All transports implement HCIL mappings. (SPI drivers enjoy the easiest mapping, hcil<->HCIL.) They are all faced with the necessity of mapping and solve it in different ways, for different reasons. Why stop at FC + SAS and try to find a unified solution for just those two? Also, when you are working out how FC and SAS could interface to a common HCIL mapping library (or HCIL mapping layer?), you are effectively designing aspects of how an interface between FC|SAS and SCSI core should look like. Or, why not provide the HCIL mapping helpers in the core and subsequently make users of this new interface completely unaware of the existence of HCIL...?

Moreover, HCIL mapping is but one aspect of a common problem. As an example, I think yet another aspect of the same problem is that device properties like target names and LUNs get lost below the transport<->core interface. We want to present these device properties to userspace in a unified manner. Here it becomes even more clear: Neither is it a problem for FC and SAS alone, nor are transport-level helpers a good solution to the problem.

I freely admit that I don't have a picture of where the real difficulties lie; I am far too unfamiliar with the innards of scsi core. But time spent on transport-level helpers which are meant to ease symptoms of the transport<->core difficulties seems to be spent rather ineffectively to me. More concrete, what is the ratio of benefit to cost of HCIL mapping code sharing between SAS and FC? Especially since that mapping is deemed obsolete already (in the long term or perhaps even mid term). And to completely go back to the subject: Will attempts on code sharing between FC layer and SAS layer bring things forward in the short-term goal of SAS integration?
--
Stefan Richter