Re: remove-single-device removes mounted HDDs (kernel 2.6)

On Sep 6, 2005, at 11:43 AM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 06:50:03PM +0200, Harald Seipp wrote:
Christoph Hellwig wrote on 11.08.2005 18:40:03:
On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 05:44:46PM +0200, Harald Seipp wrote:
Thank you for your quick responses! It finally looks like the task I need to do - fully rescan all hosts for newly attached/changed devices - must
include the logic to skip devices with mounted fs for 2.6.

Why do you want to rescan a full bus anyway? What SCSI transport do you want this for? All transports where new targets can be hot-plugged should
be doing automatic scanning already.
Old-fashioned parallel SCSI bus and FC/SAN where there are no hot-plug
events AFAIK.

In FC you get per-target events, although none for new LUs showing up
on a given target (in fact no SAM transport does the latter)

I believe some Fibre Channel storage arrays generate RSCN's when new logical units are created (although I don't know if the existing Linux Fibre Channel HBA drivers propagate these registered state change notifications to the hot-plug subsystem).

I understand that many iSCSI storage arrays will generate a SCSI Asynchronous Event Notification for the REPORTED LUNS DATA HAS CHANGED Unit Attention condition that SPC-3 says shall be generated when a target changes its logical unit inventory, provided that AEN's are enabled in the control mode page.

So there are SAM transports that generate events when a new LU shows up.

I'm curious as to what plans, if any, exist for handling these events in Linux.

Regards,
-Steve
--------
Steve Byan <smb@xxxxxxxxxxx>