Re: libata: clustering on or off?

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 05:42 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> The constant ATA_SHT_USE_CLUSTERING in include/linux/libata.h controls
> the use of SCSI layer's use_clustering feature, for a great many libata
> drivers.
>
> The current setup has clustering disabled, which in theory causes the
> block layer to do less work, at the expense of a greater number of
> scatter/gather table entries used.
>
> Any opinions WRT turning on clustering for libata?

in 2.4 clustering was expensive due to a large number of checks that
were done (basically the number of fragments got recounted a gazilion
times). In 2.6 Jens fixed that afaik to make it basically free...
at which point it's a win always.

Imo clustering on the driver level should announce driver capabilities.
If clustering for some arch/kernel makes it slower, that should be
decided at a midlayer level and not in each driver; eg the midlayer
would chose to ignore the drivers capabilities.
So .. my opinion would be that libata should announce the capability (it
seems the code/hw can do it).

-