Re: fibre channel/multipath questions

Rik Bobbaers wrote:
2. Is it possible to make the fibrechannel driver get loaded AFTER the others? (Our kernels have no modules support, so i built it all in the kernel for security reasons etc...) The reason is very simple. If I have 1 disk on ESS, it now becomes /dev/sda on scsi0, /dev/sdb on scsi1 and the local disks are /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd. If I add another ESS disk , it will be /dev/sde and /dev/sdf, after a reboot, they will be /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd, the local disks will become /dev/sde and /dev/sdf. At first i thought, use e2label, but that's only for ext2/3 filesystems, our systems run on reiserfs. Are there any sollutions for this in a monolythical kernel or is the only way to fix this, compile the driver as modules and load them at boottime?

IMO the solution is not to enforce an order of device file names by whatever workaround (like order of driver initialization), but rather to identify devices independently of their device file name. Use persistent properties of devices like GUIDs, bus type, etc. There is a wealth of such information to be collected from sysfs or maybe procfs. Have a look at how udev gets such information and what it can do with it.
--
Stefan Richter