From: linux-scsi-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:linux-scsi-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of James Bottomley
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 6:02 PM
To: sinister@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Kernel driver for Adaptec S-ATA 1420SA

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 19:36 +0200, sinister@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I bought the Adaptec S-ATA II-1420SA controller but I have a problem
> with this type.
> I use the Linux Slackware 10.1 with the Linux Kernel 2.6.12-4 but I
> didn´t find any driver for this S-ATA controller.
> I don't need RAID but I need a 4x S-ATA port.

Adaptec only publishes binary drivers for it's SATA RAID cards.

The rumour is that Adaptec doesn't make the SATA chips in these, but
OEM's them and then adds Adaptec softraid on top, so theoretically one
of the in-kernel SATA drivers might be able to attach to the OEM chip.
Your best bet would be to ask Adaptec support about it.

James

-
-