Re: remove-single-device removes mounted HDDs (kernel 2.6)

>Can I rely on the mtab information? I recognized that e.g. submountd will
>add permanent entries even when the devices are not present...
>What about udev, devfsd, usbmount?

Don't use /etc/mtab.  Don't use it for anything if you can help it; it was
important technology in its day, but we can now go to the horse's mouth --
the kernel -- for that information.

/proc/mounts will tell you what is really mounted.

As you mentioned in another posting, this isn't really the information you
want either -- you want to know if the SCSI disk is in use.  Being the
device backing a conventional filesystem image is only one way a SCSI disk
might be in use.

--
Bryan Henderson                     IBM Almaden Research Center
San Jose CA                         Filesystems